Saturday, October 10, 2009

Home

A missionary's definition of home can be an interesting one. In many ways you have at least two homes and never really fit entirely into either one. I've noticed a transition in my use of the word home. When I first moved to Kenya I always referred to the USA as home, never Kenya. Then I went through a long phase where one had to really know the context of the conversation in order to know where I was talking about when I said "home". To a degree that's still true. However more and more I find that I use the word home when referring to Kenya.

You know those moments that just strike an emotional cord and give you chills or bring tears to your eyes? I had one of those moments today. We took a team that is visiting here in Kipkaren over to Illula (ELI's other Kenyan village we work in) this afternoon. The children from the Children's Home there had a great welcoming service for the team. During the service a group of children played the Kenyan national anthem on recorders. It was just one of those moments that strikes you in a special and emotional way. This was the first time I've gotten emotional over hearing the Kenyan national anthem. I realized that I'm really feeling a sense of pride and identity with this country and her amazing people.

People in the village have been saying that I'm Kenyan ever since I married William. But every now and then I hear myself say "Well since I am Kenyan...."

I also realized recently that I've been telling some of our visiting teams "William and I have to go back to America in Sept next year to do some paperwork for his green card." Notice the use of the words "have to go"? A year ago I was asking "When are we going to get to go?" What a wonderful, beautiful, crazy journey this has been!

1 comment:

Brandon and Kendra Kertson said...

So happy to hear you are adjusting so well to your new home. Not everyone could do what you have done but I believe you were made for it. So proud of you friend! :)