Sunday, October 11, 2009

Special Need

Several months ago I was asked to make up a wish list of things that I would love to have in the clinic. So I did just that. On that list I included a seriously big-ticket item that I never thought would actually be donated. I was once told that when I dream I should dream big. So I included an ultrasound machine on the list.

At the clinic we frequently encounter pregnancies that have some sort of complication that needs an ultrasound. About 70% of the time when I refer a patient for an ultrasound she doesn't go because of the expense and the distance needed to travel to get one done.

Just a few weeks ago there was a patient who I felt pretty sure was carrying twins. She has had a complicated pregnancy and I had already asked her twice to go for an ultrasound. She came in two weeks ago in a lot of pain thinking she was in labor. But on exam she was not in labor at all but was having terrible pain. I told her that she needed the ultrasound and to be seen in the hospital. Three days later she convinced her husband to take her to the hospital. As they did an ultrasound they determined that she did have twins and that one of them had died. They induced and delivered both babies. I couldn't help but wonder what her outcome would have been if we could have done the ultrasound when I first wanted it three months ago.

Well this week we have been blessed with a team from Iowa. They are a crackerjack medical team that we have been looking forward to for quite some time. When they arrived I was absolutely overwhelmed with the volume of luggage they brought. I was even more overwhelmed when I discovered that the majority of the luggage was for the clinic. The team had gone over my wish list and made every possible effort to fill it, including the ultrasound machine! When I asked for an ultrasound I never imagined that we would actually get one!

So now we have an ultrasound machine! We have a few of the team members giving us a two-session crash course in its use. But we really could use someone who knows what they are doing who could come take the time to train our staff.

So I'm putting a call out for an ultrasound tech who is willing to give a few weeks to come to Kenya and train our staff. We are looking into the possibility of hiring someone from a hospital here in Kenya who could come do some training with us. But I would really love it if there was someone who could volunteer to come and spend a few focused weeks really getting our staff comfortable with the machine. If you, or someone you know, are interested please contact me to talk about the possibility of a trip to Kenya. I figure if God can get us the machine he can get us the training to use it!

1 comment:

SMC said...

PRAISE GOD! Those things are not inexpensive, from what I recall! That is amazing!