Sunday, October 25, 2009

One of THOSE Days

Well today I'm having "One of those days". It's only 9AM but feels like it should already be 9PM. For starters I have an evil sinus infection. Nose completely blocked, eyes throbbing, throat raw from the post-nasal drip, the works!

As I was trying to drag my body out of bed this morning I heard a huge commotion outside. People yelling, dogs barking and growling etc. Turns out a rabid dog attacked one of our cows. He jumped up and bit her in the face several times. A big crowd gathered in our yard rather quickly. People were being called to come and help find the dog. About the same time I got to the hill the dog came back. People were throwing rocks at it and then it ran straight at me.

Everyone was telling me to run or do something. But I was just frozen staring at this dog. Thankfully it ran past me. In a flash my dog's were on the scene coming to my defense. Our sweet little mutt Socks (who happens to be pregnant), went after the dog with Tuli (our Ridgeback dog). The rabid dog jumped on Socks and got her leg before she got away.

I was sent to the house for my own safety. About twenty minutes later I was informed that the dog had been killed. Now the vet is on the way to treat our animals. They are telling me that there is a serum they can be injected with. But I always thought that once an animal was bit by a rabid animal that was it, they had to be put down. I'm going to try not to get to worked up over this all until the vet and I have had a chat about the whole thing.

In the meantime I would appreciate your prayers as I want nothing more than to crawl in bed right now.

2 comments:

Joyce and Wesley Wright said...

Just prayed for your dog. Pole sana.

Kristina said...

Oh goodness! That's not the kind of day you need when you aren't feeling well! I'm praying for you and your animals!

On a good note, I'm doing much better and am actually heading back to work tomorrow. I'm going to take things nice and easy, though, to make sure I stay good throughout the week. :)