Friday, August 29, 2008

Thoughts on Care Packages

Hhhmmmmm I've been debating all week on whether or not to write this post. You see I don't want to give the wrong impression or come off selfish, greedy, whiny or demanding. I've recently had several people ask me about receiving care packages. So after just answering another e-mail on the topic I decided to go ahead and write a post about care packages. So there is my disclaimer, please don't read this as me begging for care packages! No I don't have running water or a normal stove/oven, but I'm not suffering in agony in the bush as some may imagine. But that being said, I will confess that in being human there are some things that I do get homesick for. And there is always a happy dance associated with the receiving of cards, pictures, letters, or care packages.

OK, enough rambling! Yes, we can receive packages. No they don't always arrive or arrive in a timely manner. I am pleased to say that we did receive all of our Christmas packages. They all arrived on January 31st! So far I've had one big (as in bulky AND expensive) package fail to arrive. And who knows, it may still show up... My colleague Juli once got Christmas cookies from her grandmother nine months after Christmas!

All international packages typically go through a customs office before getting to us. Anything in a box gets opened, inspected and often taxed. Envelopes are very rarely opened or taxed. They also seem to arrive in a more timely manner. Even bulky bubble wrap envelopes. So the trick I think is to send small quantities in envelopes instead of big expensive boxes.

What do we like to get? Here are some ideas:
  • Seasoning Packets for Cooking (especially taco, and fajita seasoning!!!)
  • Crystal Light Packets
  • M&M's (regular and peanut butter are our favorites)
  • Dried Parmesan Cheese
  • Tazo Passion Tea
  • Hot Chocolate Packets/Apple Cider Packets
  • Macaroni and Cheese
  • Worship Music/Christian CD's
  • DVD's (we can watch them on our computer)
  • Updated picture(s) of your family
  • Personal notes/cards with encouraging scriptures
  • Flavored instant coffee
  • Books (inspirational, Christian fiction, interesting biographies etc.)
  • Just about anything Bath and Body Works
Where do you send them to?
William and Michelle Kiprop
c/o Empowering Lives International
P.O. Box 8199
Eldoret
KENYA

It actually helps if both of our names are on the package. We have to show ID when we pick up a package. And if my name is the only one on the package William can't pick them up and bring them home.

Again, let me reiterate the best thing you can do is pray for us! We can and do live fine without care packages. They are not a must by any means. And we love getting cards from the USA that don't come with packages. Just knowing that someone thought about us and cared enough to send a word of encouragement is a huge blessing.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Hello Michelle,
I'm so glad to know you are doing well. Im sorry I havent written sooner, I think your flyer in the VA breakroom got obscured by all the nonsense! Anyway, it is great to know how you are doing, I would love to see more pictures and write more to you. Please let me know what you need for care packages! i will gladly send you whatever you are missing! (hopefully you will get it!) What about LARGE bubble envelopes? Do they have a better chance? Anyway, I think it is great what you are doing, few would be selfless enough to do the same! Although sometimes I wish I didnt have a stove or oven, then I would at least have an excuse for my bad cooking! :) Anyway, I will send care packages to you. Keep up the good work!
love,
Jean and your friends at the VA loma linda