Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Nostalgia

Wow, three posts in one day, this must be some kind of record for me!!! I'm trying to wrap some things up before heading home to make dinner. But as I'm sitting here working I'm listening to the enthusiastic singing of youth from our community.

Youth camp starts tonight. We are expecting approx 400 youth between the ages of 15 and 25 to come stay at the ELI compound through Sunday. You can feel the energy in the air. Listening to the singing takes me back to a night back in the summer of 1994.... I was at the Lord's Boot Camp in Merritt Island, FL. I was preparing for my first mission trip to Brazil.

They dimmed the lights in the big top tent and asked everyone to close their eyes. Then the crowd was asked to imagine that it is just before dawn and they hear birds singing. In the distance you hear a group of Africans heading on their way to church to worship. As we were imagining, a choir of Africans (from all over Africa) began to dance into the tent singing acapella. It was a moment that will stay with me for as long as I live. I think it was the first moment I felt the call of Africa on my heart.

So as I sit in the office finishing some computer work I'm taken back to that hot summer night. I'm reminded that this is an amazing continent full of amazing people. That this is the place that God put in my heart. That I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be at this exact moment in time.

1 comment:

SMC said...

It's amazing how frequently I think of things that God did in me on our trip to Madagascar with TMI as well. I never thought I'd appreciate that experience, but looking back, 10 years later, I suppose I can say they know what they're doing down there in Merritt Island! I just pray that every teen was touched and impacted as we were.

Praying for you, Michelle!