Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Unusual Patient


This morning I encountered an unusual patient. The clinic sits on a hill so we often can see our patients coming towards the clinic. I noticed one of the employees from ELI's training center carrying something towards us.

At first I thought it was a small baby, but as he got closer I realized it was an animal. Kenei brought me a baby goat!!! The poor little girl is only three days old. She was attacked this morning by one of our guard dogs.

I am no veterinarian!!! But I do know how to do a bit of wound care. Unfortunately this kid really could have used a vet. The tear went deep into her muscle and severed a few tendons. Stitching the muscle of a goat would have been a bit too much for our little clinic. (Especially when we have patients who have a hard time affording to pay for their suture jobs when they need stitches!) So I just did some basic wound care and antibiotics. I think some people were pretty surprised that I even agreed to treat her.

William told me over lunch that people at the training center were already talking about how I was nursing their goat back to health.

Her caregivers from the training center have decided to name her Survivor! I checked on her this afternoon and she seems to be doing okay. Just another day in Kenya!

1 comment:

DAP said...

So cute!!! I hope it makes it.

Dale