Thursday, July 24, 2008

Sigh

I find myself sighing this afternoon. Mostly with relief but I confess there is a bit of frustration mixed in there. For the last two weeks I've been dreading this week. I must say I'm thankful that it is soon coming to a close. Too many things going on. Taking public ground transportation all the way to Kijabe and Nairobi (shudder!). Mama's double surgery. My grandmother's funeral back in the States. Trying to pick up William's passport. Dealing with the US embassy regarding immigration issues..... A lot for one week!

This afternoon mama was discharged from the hospital She had an extremely successful thyroidectomy. (Meaning they took out her thyroid!) She also had D&C to deal with some uterus issues and that went off without a hitch as well. What is amazing is that the cost wound up being less for both surgeries than just one would have been at our hospital back home. Not to mention that I was at least twice as happy with the quality of care here than I have been back home. She is now resting in her motel room downstairs. She was so happy we got her out of the hospital and into her private room with the big double bed here.

I have to give great thanks to Leann, an American physician here in Kijabe. She has been a HUGE blessing to us. I honestly think we might have still been in the workup process without all of Leann's help.

Yesterday William and I headed down to Nairobi to pick up his passport. Well it was the same old story, no passport! "But maybe it will be here next week." Yeah right! I'm also having fun dealing with the US embassy. They are giving me the typical US run around. Call this number. But that's the one that just referred me to you! Who knows if we will ever make it to the USA? I'm just glad that it only cost us $7 to use public transportation to get to Nairobi and back again!

Tomorrow we will head home to Kipkaren. It's sounding like transportation is going to be a bit of an issue. (Another big "what else is new!") I must say I'm looking forward to the weekend!

No comments: