Saturday, July 21, 2007

Michelle Kerns, Family Nurse Practitioner


Favorite, originally uploaded by momentswithmichelle.

After two years of VERY hard work I FINALLY graduated!!!! I'm now officially a master's prepared nurse practitioner. What is even more amazing is that I am working as an FNP.

I had no intentions of getting a job as an NP before moving to Kenya. However God opened an amazing door and job literally fell into my lap. I'm working two days a week at the Union Rescue Mission (URM) on skid row in downtown Los Angeles. So yes, my clients are homeless. It is a great environment for learning.

I did several rotations at the clinic as a student. One of the full time NP's was leaving just as I was graduating. The part time NP took the full-time position and I was asked to take her part time position. I explained that I was the worst possible choice for the job. Not only am I a new graduate (interpretation: I have NO idea what I am doing!) but I also will be moving out of the country in Nov. I was told that actually I was a perfect fit because they needed someone now and I would not need to be oriented.

In addition to my job at the URM I continue to work two days a week as an RN in the ER at the VA hospital in Loma Linda. The two jobs, and driving all over southern CA, are keeping me pretty busy.

Wedding preparations are underway. The plan is to have a big wedding in the village of Kipkaren. The wedding date is December 14, 2007!! All are invited!!! If you are interested in attending let me know and we can start working on travel arrangements.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Michele are you still in Kenya practicing? I am a FNP still in the US hoping to come to Kenya and practice (Kenya Citizen)...is your title recognized? Do you have prescriptive previledges?

H.M.

Michelle Kiprop said...

Yes, I am in Kenya. I have a license as a Kenyan Registered Nurse. There is no recognized licensed for an NP in Kenya. By working in a rural setting I have prescription privileges. Your scope of practice depends on your location. If you are in a hospital then your scope is limited, in rural you function independently.

If you are looking to make money it most likely will not happen in Kenya. I raise my own salary from donors in the USA since I work as a missionary in a non-profit clinic. I do know that the government is currently hiring a lot of nurses. I think the pay scale starts something like $350 or $400/month.