Saturday, July 21, 2007

Hawaii


Annette and Michelle, originally uploaded by momentswithmichelle.

Shortly after graduation I had the opportunity to take my first trip to Hawaii. Back in Dec I realized that I had enough frequent flyer miles to make a domestic trip. I called my best friend Annette (who was living in Arkansas at the time) and told her I wanted to come visit for spring break.

She told me that her and her husband had just been notified that their next tour of duty would be in Hawaii. (Her husband Sergej is a major in the airforce.) They would be moving in May and I should just wait and come after graduation.

Thus I was able to make the amazing trip to O'ahu. I was in desperate need of the rest and relaxation. And I couldn't have picked a better place or better company for it!! A highlight was snorkeling with the turtles at Turtle Beach on the north shore of the island. But the best part was just having time to spend together. That and not having anywhere I had to be or anything I had to do.

Annette and I were friends as children. We lost track of each other through Jr. and Sr. High. Our paths crossed again in college. Needless to say, our relationship has grown and grown since then. She has been such a source of encouragement and wisdom for me. I am truly thankful for the opportunity we had to spend together before I move away to Africa. (Not that Hawaii isn't far enough from CA as it is!)

No comments: