Friday, July 27, 2007

Frustration

I've had may people comment that when I finally updated my blog I neglected to provide an update on William's visa status. I was sincerely hoping that sometime at the beginning of this week I would place a post entitled "We have an ID card!!!!". But alas, we still do not have an ID card. We (meaning mostly my poor William) have been trying to obtain an ID card since October of last year. It has been one thing after another. He even made a special trip to Nairobi (his first one in five years) to try to get an expedited card.

Last week the office in Eldoret called him to tell him that the card had arrived. He just needed to come and pick it up. When he arrived at the office they showed him that sure enough, his name was on the list of cards that were delivered. However there was no ID card physically present in the office. They profusely apologized and told him they had no idea what had happened to it.

I can't quite put my finger on my emotion. Definitely frustration!! In some ways I feel like I'm losing hope with this entire process. You see, he can't proceed with the next step in the visa process until he has a passport. And he cannot apply for a passport until he has the ID. At the rate things are going we will be lucky if we can make a trip to the states together a year after we are married!!!

It's been an interesting process looking at the intercultural perspective of all this frustration. I am a born and raised American. And here in America we are raised to believe that you can have anything or accomplish anything if you work hard enough for it. It has been a cold hard reality to learn that the rest of the world does not always work that way. William has put hours and hours of agony into his multiple attempts to get the ID card. And yet, we have nothing to show for it.

Your continued prayers would be most appreciated. I'm on the edge of giving up hope that this is ever going to happen. Before I know it we will be in Africa together saying our vows. In the meantime please continue to pray for wisdom direction and peace. I still don't know for sure where we will be living or exactly what we will be doing. Yet through it all I know that I know that I know that God is in control! I know that he will never fail and that his plan is perfect. Thanks for all of your continued support, prayers and encouragement!!

No comments: