Monday, January 01, 2007

Christmas Day


Christmas Day
Originally uploaded by momentswithmichelle.
On the Christmas afternoon I spent some time with William's cousins Chemning (17) and Sarah (15). The two girls are pretty special. On the night that I arrived they hiked to the training center just so they could greet me. Sarah almost knocked me over with an enthusiastic hug. They had been begging me to come for lunch one day. So William and I decided that Christmas was the day.

We ate rice pilau (rice with seasonings and some meat), oranges and chai for lunch. I love to hear the hopes and dreams of these young ladies. Sarah (on the right) loves math and thinks she may want to be an engineer. Chemning enjoys the study of ecology. Both hope to further their education after finishing high school. Both are living in a mud hut and working hard to help run the family shamba (farm).

No comments: