Monday, January 01, 2007

Name That Snake!


Tree Cobra?
Originally uploaded by momentswithmichelle.
So I had a bit of an adventure in my first week in Kenya. I have made seven trips to Africa and this is the first time that I have ever encountered a deadly snake. This fella was hiding behind the toilet in my bathroom.

Thank the Lord someone else found him and told me he was there. We called in a staff member from the Children's Home who happens to be an excellent snake slayer. He then came and beat the snake to death for me.

Now just what kind of snake is this? I was originally told it was a black mamba but then most all of my Kenyan friends disagreed. When William and I found a poster of deadly African snakes we thought this one matched the picture of the tree cobra. Any snake experts out there who can confirm or deny that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle,
This is definitely a "Tree Cobra" or a "Forest Cobra." It is evident from the stripes on the mouth, and confirmed by the three dark throat bands on the underside.

Since its hood is narrow, sometimes people do not think it is a cobra. While this is not a particularly aggressive cobra, in the confines of toilet or shower, it would likely defend itself rapidly. The bite of this snake is quite serious and may lead to death.

Hope you are glad to learn all this!

God Bless,
Davis