Thursday, November 19, 2009

Holy Moments

I always wonder what people's perception is of day-to-day life on the mission field. Quite honestly many days are just hum-drum routine days. But every now and then I have a moment that I would simply have to describe as holy.

This week has been a bit hectic. I have my family here which is WONDERFUL but I'm trying to manage working this week at the same time. On top of that we had a major plumbing disaster last night which resulted in needing to have the pipes dug up and replaced today. So in the midst of the craziness I rushed home to grab some things before heading out to meet my family at an ELI function. As I was leaving I was told that there was a lady outside looking for me. When I stepped outside I recognized her immediately.

Back in September we had this one crazy week where we delivered like 8 babies in just one week. For our little dispensary that is a big deal. (I know my labor and delivery friends in the USA are rolling their eyes!) Well one of the pregnant woman who came in that week did not deliver at our clinic but was referred out.

I instantly connected with this mom from the moment she walked in the door. I'm not sure exactly what it was about her but we just hit it off immediately. Her name was Jackie. She had walked about three miles to get to the clinic. Her mom came with her. She had been a university student and was abandoned by her boyfriend when he found out she was pregnant. But nonetheless she seemed really excited about having her baby. When I checked her prenatal record I found that she was super early. On exam she was 5cm dilated which meant she was in true labor and there was very little chance of stopping it.

I explained to her that she absolutely had to go to a big hospital. I told her that she was in true labor and I couldn't stop it. I was straight-forward with her and told her that at this stage the baby had an almost zero chance of surviving if she delivered in our clinic. If she delivered in the hospital there might be some chance but I couldn't make promises. She began to cry. Her and her mother told me that they had about $5 between them and that was all they had. Period.

I stepped outside for a moment to let them talk. When I came back in they told me that they were going to walk home then pray and wait and see what happened. I told them that they absolutely could not go home and that I was not chasing them out of the clinic but that I knew a delivery at our site would have a bad outcome.

This was one of those moments where God didn't have to speak in an audible voice. It was very clear that I needed to get this woman to the hospital. So I reached in my pocket and handed her the cash for transportation to the hospital and to be admitted. I laid hands on her and prayed for her and the baby. Then we put her on the back of a motorcycle and sent her on her way.

Well this afternoon as I walked outside it was none other than Jackie standing there with her baby boy. I immediately got goose-bumps. It was an overwhelming and beautiful moment. She told me that she had to come show me her son. She is looking for work and trying to find a way to support him. I promised her that I will keep my eyes and ears open. Jobs are so hard to find right now. I prayed with her and for her son. I told her that God obviously has a great plan for this little one because the odds were totally against him. He truly is a miracle and looking into his little eyes was a holy moment.

No comments: