Friday, November 28, 2008

Observations

As I prepare to get in bed (yes at 8:30 PM!!!) I was mulling over just a few observations I have made about life these past few days:
  • The toilet paper in America is a whole lot softer than in Kenya
  • Jet lag seems to get harder to recover from with each passing year
  • Women in the western world wear a lot of makeup (especially airline stewardesses)
  • In America I get to take an AWESOME, HOT shower with GREAT water pressure, even when I don't really NEED a shower; in Kenya I sometimes skip my bucket bath because it is so inconvenient even though I probably really do need it!
  • American grocery stores are truly amazing. Seriously! I almost got lost in Albertsons the other night
  • I'm back to using Kleenex instead of a hankie to blow my nose
  • It's wonderful to be around close friends and family where you can just be yourself
  • The dogs here are larger than in Kenya
  • The cars are larger, newer, and go faster than in Kenya
  • The roads here are amazing! As in you can get from point A to point B without any teeth rattling out of your head
  • Not only can I buy tortillas, but I have like 15 different types and brands to choose from
  • William and I have been blessed with some incredibly special and supportive people in our lives. Without them we couldn't be in Kenya. Connecting with just a few of them so far has been great!
  • It is wonderful to put on a pair of trousers (in Kenya the word pants is equivalent to panties) and actually wear them outside my home. I'm used to always wearing skirts in Africa.
  • Life in general is way more convenient here
  • I don't really feel at home in CA anymore; but I don't really feel at home in Kenya either. Does that make me a nomad or something like that?
  • And lastly, I'm very very very tired. I'm sure I will make many many more observations about my home culture in the coming weeks. But for now I'm going to study the back of my eyelids and crawl into bed.

No comments: