Saturday, December 13, 2008

William's Observations


Since arriving in the USA the number one question we have been asked is "What does William think of America?" He wants to let everyone know that he thinks America is a wonderful country. One of his surprises has been how kind and welcoming people are. Most of our American visitors to Kenya make comments about how they find Kenyans to be more friendly than Americans. So he was prepared for a colder welcome. He has been amazed at how friendly, open and welcoming people have been to him.

However I do believe that meeting so many new people has been a bit overwhelming. The vast number of choices available are also a bit much to take in. He actually isn't quite sure how to respond to the "what do you think?" question. Some people seem surprised when he says it is a wonderful country. Almost as if they expect him to say that he is disgusted by materialism and picking up on the not-so-nice things about our country.

I know that I have been overwhelmed with realizations over and over again this last year about how wonderful a country America is. Yes, she has her faults. But when you stack her up against what a lot of countries deal with on a day-to-day basis, America is a pretty amazing and wonderful country. A land of opportunity.

So my take on William's impressions is that he has not been shocked. He has been hearing from me and from visiting Americans for years about what America is like. I think there have been adjustments but not major shocks. Not sure if that makes sense?

I hope that answers questions a bit. William told me this week that the biggest highlight of this year has been getting to come and visit America and learn about my world. Thank you to all of those who have given us this wonderful welcome! We just had an amazing getaway to San Diego. It was a gift from a friend I used to work with. Thank you so much Iberay for that wonderful treat!

I'll try to get some more San Diego pictures up later this week. We were blessed with not only the gift of a hotel room with a bay view, but with trips to the Zoo and Sea World!

No comments: