Wednesday, December 24, 2008

UGH

Since arriving in CA William and I have been on the go. It has been rush here, rush there, meet with someone here, speak there. etc. You get the idea! The problem is that I really love all of it! I want to see as many people as possible and experience as much of America as we can in the time that we are here. But it has been a lot and I've been feeling pretty run down for the last week.

Three days ago my throat started getting sore and I noticed that my tonsils were rather big. Well I have chronic allergies and so I basically attributed the swelling to some post-nasal drip as well as general fatigue. I've felt tired and icky but no other symptoms. Well last night my mom thought I had a fever. When I woke up this AM my throat was burning. So I decided to pull out my good old torch (flashlight) and take a look.

I have never had strep-throat before but I'm a medical professional and I've certainly diagnosed and treated it. One look at my swollen-pus-covered tonsils and I knew I had strep. Unfortunately I don't have health insurance. But I know that strep can be pretty serious. If untreated it can affect the kidneys, heart and even neurological system. So I decided I needed to suck it up and go see someone.

I was contemplating going to a homeless clinic when I remembered that CVS now has Minute Clinics where you pay cash to be treated for basic medical problems. I went to my local clinic and was treated by a really sweet NP. She took one look at my throat and agreed that I had a classic case of strep. She kept telling me "can you feel how swollen your lymph nodes are?? You are really sick girl!". No kidding! That's why I'm here. Sure enough the rapid test came back positive.

So I'm now in isolation for the next 24hrs while I wait for the penicillin to knock the bacteria down to a non-contagious level. Fun stuff! At least I should be feeling good by Christmas day.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Ugh is right! Feel better soon and Merry Christmas!