Tuesday, June 01, 2010

What Was I Thinking???

So I have lived in Africa for going on three-years now. It's been a year and a half since our last trip to the USA. And on top of all of that I'm a medical professional. You would think that I of all people wouldn't slip up and use unsafe water. For goodness sakes, I battled worms and bacterial infections most of my first year here!

But this morning I was deep in thought as I was brushing my teeth. I had my glass of pure water at the sink right next to me. But for some crazy reason I flipped on the faucet and splashed water in my mouth to rinse. By the second splash I suddenly realized what I was doing. This was followed by a lot of rinsing with the pure water. And the rinsing with pure water was followed by a good gargle with Listerine. Considering I didn't swallow and I quickly washed away the "icky" water I'm hoping I'll be okay. But as I go about my morning I keep having flashbacks to my gastrointestinal issues from my first year.

So note to future visitors, do not drink the water unless it is bottled, comes from the deep borehole, or has been boiled! And I wouldn't mind if you say a little prayer that any buggers that made it to my system die a quick and painful death!

3 comments:

Adele said...

Is the water from your new borehole? Isn't that one deep enough to be considered safe? I guess I was blessed. Not once did I rinse my mouth with bottled water, even in Ilula, where we had unsafe city water.

Mama Griffith, said...

old habbits die hard! Its weird the stuff you revert to when your mind is shut off.

Mama Griffith, said...

I only know this from personal experiance you see... :)