Friday, April 16, 2010

The Termites are Here

Spring, the word brings to mind images of flowers blooming, new life, baby chicks, lots of warm fuzzies! What may not come to mind are flying ants and termites. Each year as our heavy rains begin, we get swarms of flying ants followed by swarms of termites. Last night we somehow were blessed by both on the same night! The termites definitely won the competition for biggest turnout!

Even with sealing up the house, some of them managed to find their way into my kitchen where they settled in the sink. They normally come out in swarms during the night hours. They are strongly attracted to light. Since we happen to have electric security lights they really swarm our house. They then crash their bodies into the sides of our house and windows. So thousands of little bugs (or maybe not-so-little!) are effectively knocking on the window while we try to sleep. I actually put earplugs in last night!

The first year I was here I HATED the termite season. The second year I tolerated it a bit better. Well this year I'm actually feeling the excitement of the arrival of the termites. Many of my Kenyan friends and neighbors will tell you that they are "Tamu Sana!" (Very sweet!) I have been told that they are full of fat and protein. They are definitely a delicacy since they only come around during the beginning of the rains. Here are some pictures from the termite excitement this morning.

When I went outside they were basically everywhere

Friends and neighbors came to collect them to fry and eat later


My kitchen sink was full of termites. Two spiders and a beetle decided to join the party

Percival, one of our nurses, offered to demonstrate the proper eating of a raw termite. First you need to get a good up-close-and-personal look at one:

She explained that you have to pull off the head prior to eating or it will bite your tongue:

You don't eat the wings so you can either pull them off or hold it by the wings and bite:

Yum Yum!:

As I write, there are half-a-dozen children outside my office collecting termites for later and getting a little snack in at the same time. Just another day of life in Kenya!

3 comments:

amanda wu said...

I clicked and saw the kitchen sink picture a bit bigger . . . .OH MY GOSH it freaked me out!! YUCK!!

I'm glad you actually anticipated them this year . . . that's cool. But, oh my, I'm glad that's your job and not mine!!!!!

Mama Griffith, said...

my kids were out in the yard just yesterday snacking on sugar ants (the really tiny ones) They have a thing for bugs and would probubly find the termites extra cool. We have the carpentar ants that drop on you at night during the spring, FUN FUN!! :) so I know what you mean!

Mark, Cathy & Kimberly Lessig said...

Sorry I missed the termites this time....Mark & I are hoping we'll be there for next year's feast!