Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sunday Night Fun at the Children's Home


Since stepping into an administrative role at the clinic, I find that I often stay in my little medical world on this side of the village. I live right next door to the compound the clinic is on. And since I have internet through a cell-phone modem I can access the internet from my office at the clinic or even my living room for that matter! Although I see many ELI staff members and children when they come to the clinic for treatment, I find that I don't make it over the the ELI Training Center or Children's Home unless I make a conscious effort to do so.

I recently got the Disney movie "Bolt" and immediately thought of our kids at the Children's Home. It's been a long time since I've done a movie night with them. Like more than a year at least! So William arranged with one of the Baba's (fathers) for us to bring the movie on Sunday night after dinner.

Those kids are so special! I may not spend much time with them, but every time I stop by, they truly fill my heart with joy. I think they are such a symbol of hope. I did their medical intake in 2006 when they were first being brought into the home. Many of their stories and backgrounds are heart-wrenching. Yet when you visit today you will find children full of joy and energy who are living their lives to the fullest.

We drove to the home after dinner. Thank God for four-wheel-drive because our roads are SERIOUSLY muddy right now! When we arrived at the home the children were all waiting in their gazebo for the film to start. They broke into applause as we walked in.

At the beginning of the movie there is a huge chase-scene that Bolt (the dog hero) is filming. This particular scene got a lot of response from the kids. William was enthusiastically giving a play-by-play commentary in Swahili that the kids were just eating up. I enjoyed the movie, but even more, I enjoyed watching the audience!

Hopefully we can make this a monthly event. I would love to actually have the kids over to our home to sit on the lawn and watch a movie projected on the wall of our house. But we will have to wait until the it warms up and the rains slow down for that one.

1 comment:

Mama Griffith, said...

great stuff!! Your description was perfect, the audiance would definatly be the entertaining part!