Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sorry for the Silence

It's been quite a while since I've managed to get an update together. Things here in CA have been a bit of a whirlwind. On January 13th my mother fell and fractured her left femur (the biggest bone in your leg) into three pieces. She had to undergo major surgery and has been in rehab the past two weeks. We are hoping to bring her home on Monday.

I also helped a friend say goodbye to her husband this week. He had ALS and got to the point where he could no longer breathe independently. I was honored that she asked me to stay with them when they said goodbye as the medical staff removed his ventilator. It was a painful day but at the same time I know in my heart that he is no longer suffering. After all this time with a body that refused to cooperate he is dancing on the streets of heaven. Please pray for my friend as she grieves her loss. She gave birth to their first child just two and a half weeks ago.

William and I were scheduled to head home to Kenya today. Because of all of the circumstances we chose to postpone our trip by one week. So this week we will be getting my mother settled in at home. We will be able to attend my friend's funeral. And finally we will be able to take care of all those last minute details we haven't had time to do in the last few weeks.

I'm definitely feeling a bit homesick for Kenya. Over the course of our stay I began to get a bit concerned that I wasn't feeling an urgency to get back to Africa. I worried whether I would be ready to go when the time came. But I am feeling pretty ready. It is amazing how God works. I feel like he has given me the grace to be where I need to be when I need to be there. I'm not sure if that really makes sense but it is how I feel right now. I would have never wanted my mom to break her leg or my friend to lose her husband; but what timing that I could be here when it all happened.

I'm also thankful for this week of some concentrated time with my family as we transition my mom into life at home again. She won't be able to start putting any weight on her left leg until mid-April. She basically has to learn to walk again. So please pray for her during this challenging time.

Once we are back in Kenya I should go back to a semi-regular schedule of posting updates on our work there. Thanks for hanging in there with us!

No comments: