Wednesday, March 26, 2008

New Life


New Baby, originally uploaded by momentswithmichelle.

One of my first clients in the antenatal clinic was a 16-year-old with her first pregnancy. She has faithfully made every appointment. It worked out so that I was always the provider who saw her at her appointments. As she came closer and closer to her due date I put the word out that I wanted to be in on her delivery. I told the nurses who take call “I don’t care if it’s midnight, I want to be there!” I informed Judith that I would do my best to be there to help her bring her baby in the world.

Well last night a little after midnight I got the phone call. “She is fully dilated and getting ready to push, you better come now.” William (my sweetheart of a husband) got up with me to go to the clinic. We put on our gumboots (rain boots) and tromped through the mud using our flashlights to get to the clinic.

When I walked in the room Judith broke out in a huge smile and thanked me for coming. That moment alone was worth the midnight trek through the mud. If my presence could induce a smile like that at full dilation the trip was most definitely worthwhile. Bernard, the nurse on call, declared that since I had followed her all the way through, I should be the one to deliver the baby. Thus far I’ve only assisted but haven’t actually taken the lead. Bernard coached me through step by step. I couldn’t have done it without him. And by the way, I still consider myself to have assisted in the delivery. I don’t think we medical professionals should get the credit for delivering the baby when it is the mom who does all the hard work!

Somewhere between 1:30 and 2:00 Karen Jemutai made her grand entrance. It was a difficult delivery with some minor complications. But I’m pleased to announce that both mom and baby are doing great this AM. What a joy it is to watch a new baby take her first breath and scream out her protest as she enters this world. Then those little eyes start blinking and taking it all in. Those first minutes are so precious. Mom and gogo (grandma) thought that I should name the baby. They asked me if I wanted to name her after myself. I told them that I was honored but I thought the mom should choose. Judith and Karen stayed overnight and are getting ready to walk home as I type. That is right! Just eight hours after delivery mom wraps up the baby and walks her home. Life in Africa is not life in the US!

No comments: