Saturday, January 26, 2008

So Blessed!

I can't even begin to tell you how overwhelmed I was today when I opened my e-mail. Yesterday I had sent out an update stating that I was being treated for malaria and had been ill. This afternoon I was bombarded by messages of encouragement and prayers. All of those prayers must explain why I woke up with so much energy today!!! I've decided that by tomorrow I'll be back to 100%.

I was also incredibly encouraged to receive our financial report from ELI today. You see I only had a few weeks time to begin raising financial support before I left for Kenya. I absolutely hate fundraising of any type. One of my fears was that William and I wouldn't be able to make ends meet and would even have to come home for lack of funding. We definitely aren't fully funded, but our basic needs are being met! God's timing is perfect for sure. I was surprised to find that we had even had some donors who I have never met. Thank you God for providing for our needs! And if you should ever wish to partner with us financially please let us know and I will be more than happy to get you the info. Our accountant at ELI is currently on maternity leave. But when she comes back I'm hoping to get setup with online giving.

We continue to hear constant reports of violence throughout the country. Unfortunately our region "Rift Valley" has been one of the hardest hit areas. However we continue to stay safe and a calm continues in our village. Yesterday was an international day of prayer for Kenya. Churches all over the world joined in praying for amani - peace. Your continued prayers are greatly appreciated.

I'm now working at the clinic three days a week. I have two-hour Swahili lessons daily Mon - Fri. Jambo! Jina langu ni Michelle. Ninajifunza Kiswahili, na ninaweza kuongea kidogo tu. Which means "Hello! My name is Michelle. I'm learning Swahili, I can only speak a little now." I can now count into the thousands, name the days of the week, and months of the year. I've got "What is your name? How old are you? What is the name of your baby? Are you sick? Is your child sick? and Where are you from?" down pat! We are working on my interviews at the clinic. "Where does it hurt? How long? How many times?" etc. I'll stop now before I bore you with my entire lesson!!!

Juli (another Family Nurse Practitioner) and I will soon be starting weekly well-child days at the orphanage. My husband, William, asked me today if we are planning to take care of the children from the orphanage at Illula as well. It's a good point I hadn't thought of. They don't have a health care provider there. I'll have to talk to Juli about scheduling some mobile FNP days!

No comments: