Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Doing Fine

Just want to let everyone know that William and I are doing fine right now. A few nights ago some more homes in Kipkaren were burned down. William and I could see the flames from our front yard. It's so sad to see this happening. The homes that were being burned are (or should I say were?) empty. They belonged to Kikuyus who have already fled for safety.

It is such a complicated situation. The issues run so much deeper than just a political situation. We heard on the news last night that the government has announced that they are going to close the camps where the displaced are currently living. That they are urging them to return home. I don't see how this is possible. For starters most of their homes have been burned down. Secondly many of them would be risking their lives to go back into the communities that have chased them out.

Please continue to pray for Kenya. Unfortunately the day-to-day challenges of life don't stop for political fiascoes. I'm currently working in the clinic three days a week. I'm also taking daily Swahili lessons. Yesterday I went with Juli into Eldoret. It was amazing how "calm" things seemed. We were discussing the difference between calm and peace. With calm the underlying issues are still there and you never know for sure what will happen. We visited some of our community members who are in the hospital. I'm still trying to get used to the drastic differences between the hospital here and the one that I worked at in CA. I'll share some more on that some other time.

Well I'm having company for dinner tonight. Considering dinner takes a few hours to prepare I probably better hit the road. (Home is a fifteen minute walk from where I do Internet.)

2 comments:

DW said...

Michelle...glad to hear from you sorry had to break off actor Heath Ledger killed himself how awful...was just on the news..here are people fighting to live and someone carelessly left the world put him in on his own accord...very sad....Michelle Vedonna just called to say she called and spoke to your Dad today to wish him ma Happy Birthday..Vedonna is full of cold that I gave her...anyways I pass on letters you email me to her for updates because she has no computer...she really looks forward to them...I printed off you photo's of the house and recent events in town...please be safe and know our prayers are always with you love in Christ's name Shelley

DW said...

cont. Michelle apologies for all the spelling errors...I meant God put us in this world we need to stay and be examples until he takes us...Shelley