Friday, April 27, 2012

An Opportunity

Last week I talked about a women's clinic that I volunteer at.  It's exciting for me to know that I can make a difference in the lives of women.  What is sad for me, is that it isn't happening here in my village yet.  I'm getting in a vehicle and driving 20 to 40 minutes away to provide this vitally needed service in clinics that have equipment but are lacking personnel.  But the women in my own neighborhood aren't getting that same level of care yet. 

It is my hope and prayer to begin to launch these services here in the Chebaiywa and Kipkaren areas this summer.  We are just lacking a few more vital pieces of equipment before I can actually begin.  In the course of the last four months I've been amazed at the donations that have come in to help enable me to launch the program.  I now have about 80% of what I need to start doing cervical cancer screening.  But I don't want to actually start screening until I also have the equipment to also provide treatment for pre-cancerous lesions.

Here is an opportunity for you to get involved. Would you consider making a tax-deductible donation to go towards this worthy life-saving cause ?
  • $15 Pays for a complete cancer screening procedure for a woman
  • $25 Covers the cost of treatment to completely wipe-out a pre-cancerous lesion with cryotherapy (freezing the bad tissue of a small lesion)
  • $50 Purchases a bottle of medicine used to stop bleeding post-biopsy or treatment and has enough medicine that it can be used on dozens of women
  • $75 Purchases a pair of biopsy forceps used for biopsying suspicious lesions
  • $150 Purchases a surgical packet for performing minor surgeries to remove larger pre-cancerous lesions in-office during an out-patient procedure 
  • $250 Pays for a special rubber-coated speculum needed when performing electro-surgical, out-patient procedures
  • $450 Pays for a gynecology exam table
  • $500 Gets us a tank of the gas used for performing cryotherapy (used in freezing off bad tissue)
  • $700 Purchases an autoclave for sterilizing equipment between patients
  • $3,000 Pays for the cryotherapy equipment
As you can see even a small donation can help make a big difference.  To learn more about the organization partnering with me to fundraise click here.  To actually donate to this worthy cause head over to this page and select "Kenya -Women's Clinic" from the dropdown menu while making the donation.

Asante Sana!  (Thank you very much!)

No comments: