Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sew What?


When I was in Jr. High my mother gave me a sewing machine. I have to confess I didn't really take to sewing. My mom had this great goal that I could make my own Easter dress. I was really struggling with every aspect of the process. She gave me two pieces of fabric to sew together and said "Michelle, really, only an idiot could mess this up, you can do it." So as you probably already figured, I messed it up. I think that was the last time I really tried to use a sewing machine.

Fast forward about two decades. I'm now a consultant helping to organize a group of ladies who are starting a sewing business. Go figure at the irony of that one! God certainly has a sense of humor! Because only He could call someone with absolutely no sewing skills and virtually no business skills to help with the launch of a sewing business. But I have to confess that I'm really excited to see what He has started with this group of ladies. I just feel like he is speaking to me saying "In your weakness I will be strong".

We would appreciate your prayers as we are in the very beginning stages of this new venture. We are hoping to find markets in both Kenya and the USA for the work that the ladies are doing. At the end of next week I'll be traveling to Nairobi to do some research on quality fabric and materials.

The ladies first project was to make quilts. Here are a few pictures from our meeting yesterday.

We have approximately 170 ladies registered in the group.


Some of the ladies display their first group quilt.

Another Finished Project (This one even came with pillow cases!)



2 comments:

Mama Griffith, said...

fantastic....and ironic. God has and interesting sense of humor!

Anonymous said...

This is good to know. I have been thinking about starting a clothing line for a while - affordable, well-made pieces for mid-income women. I had been looking at mass-producing tailors in China and Malaysia, but now I know just where my tailors are.