Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday Thoughts

Yesterday I was at a Seventh Day Adventist Church for the entire day. As a clinic we have been doing quite a few health-education outreaches lately. We had been invited by this particular church to come and give a health presentation after the service. We arrived around 9AM and took part in the morning small-group Bible study. That was followed by the service. Let me tell you that church can sing! I felt like I had stepped into a concert hall with all of the beautiful melodies and harmonies.

After the church service it was time for lunch. This is where the fact that I was the only white person in the group became really apparent. We were served a very traditional lunch of maize and beans. As I was eating my lunch I spotted a bug, then another, and then another. That's when you have to make the decision to stop looking for bugs, focus on the people around you and just eat!

As we finished up the meal I was surrounded by children. Now most of these children have seen a white person before but not touched one. I told William last night that I kind of felt like I had become an animal in the petting zoo. I had so many children trying to shake my hand, touch my arm or stroke my hair. Because I live in a village where the people are used to me and other wazungu (white people) I don't get the reaction of kids clambering to touch me on an everyday basis.

After the visiting time, the church had a scheduled business meeting. By the time we were starting our presentation I think it was around 4PM. Needless to say, it was an all-day experience. But we had lots of interest and lots of questions at the end of the presentation. I'm glad we went!

Next week is going to be pretty full, so I had decided that after an all-day church experience on Saturday I was going to make Sunday a day of rest. I slept in a bit and then enjoyed breakfast with William. As we ate, he put on a slideshow of all the pictures from our visit to America in 2008. As we saw pictures of people surrounding and encouraging us we were both blessed. It was a wonderful reminder of the team we have back in the USA and around the world who are standing with us in our work here! As we saw pictures of specific donors or prayer partners we took a moment to thank the Lord for their partnership.

My heart was filled with the knowledge that sometimes we can be the hands and feet behind the heart and mind of those outside of Africa. We truly are a body doing ministry together! So to those of you who help make it possible for us to be here, please know that you are truly appreciated. Have a beautiful Sunday!

1 comment:

Angie said...

I love reading the details of everything you and William are doing, and the care and blessings you give to people wherever you go. Your description of the children who were intent on touching you and petting your hair because you're a "wazungu" is absolutely delightful!