Thursday, December 10, 2009

Belated Birthday



William and I took Ashley out for a belated birthday celebration while we were in Malindi. We took public transport to Watamu and had lunch together. We ate at what William and I call a "Real Kenyan Place". We knew it was a real Kenyan restaurant because my conversation with the waiter went something like this:

Waiter: What would you like?
Michelle: I'll take the pizza (there are lots of Italians on the coast so pizza is findable there!)
Waiter: Our tourist season has been low this year so we aren't making the pizza
Michelle: Okay, then I'll have the chicken
Waiter: We don't have any chicken today
Michelle: Can I get the mushroom soup?
Waiter: We don't have that either
Michelle: What do you have today?
Waiter: Chips (french fries) and sausage
Michelle: That sounds great, can you add an ice cream?
Waiter: Sorry, we don't have any ice cream
Michelle: Okay, no problem, we will all have chips and sausage

I learned a long time ago when eating at a real Kenyan place to not even bother reading the menu. It's better just to ask what is actually available.

After lunch, Ashley and I went into one of the world's leading snake research centers. It was pretty amazing. We saw some incredible and deadly snakes. Ashley got to handle about four of the non-venomous ones.

No comments: