Wednesday, June 10, 2009

In Honor of Kelvin

Yesterday we had the honor of attending Kelvin Kiprotich Busienei's burial. Often times when leaving a burial I feel a deep sadness and heaviness in my heart. But there was something special about this one. As I left I did feel sad, in fact my heart still aches for Bush, Veronica, and Patrick, but I also felt hope. The service began around 10AM and concluded around 5:30PM. There must have been close to a thousand people in attendance.
Part of the crowd

There were moments for tears but there were also moments of laughter as Bush recalled how he wanted his son to grow up to be a lawyer but Kelvin insisted he would be a soldier and would regularly practice his fighting techniques with his brother.

Several speakers reminded the crowd that Kelvin is now rejoicing with the Lord. We were reminded that when we have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ we can be certain we will see him again. One pastor said "I will say pole (I'm sorry) to the family; I will say pole to the school friends; I will say pole to the neighbors; I will say pole to those who worked with the family; but I will NOT say pole to Kelvin. Because I know that Kelvin is not in pain and is happy to be with the Lord."
Bush and Veronica

Kelvin was a part of the Brook of Faith school choir. The remaining choir members took time to sing and dance in honor of his life. At one point David Tarus called out "Everyone dance and celebrate life!". The children moved into the crowd to bring others to the field to join them in dancing. As I saw Kelvin's older brother, Patrick, join the dancing my eyes filled with tears. It was such a bittersweet moment.

Brook of Faith Choir dancing in honor of Kelvin

Patrick in the suit on the right joining the dancers

In our community when someone dies he or she is buried at home. So as mourners arrived at the funeral the grave was being dug. Once the service concludes, the mourners all proceed with the body to the graveside. Everyone then waits for the burial to take place before decorating the grave.

Presentation of flowers to decorate the grave


The grave at the end of the service

Thank you for all of your prayers and words of encouragement for the family and the entire community during this time. Please continue to lift them up as the loss begins to really sink in.

1 comment:

SMC said...

He must have been one amazing boy, and it sure seems like it has brought the community together. Yes, he is in heaven, and hopefully that message will live louder and longer than his life ever could have.