Saturday, July 08, 2006

A Visit With Jesus

Thursday we were feverishly preparing to receive the first children into the Kipkaren children's Home. I spent much of the day washing windows and hanging mosquito nets. We had a time of discussion and prayer that night. David Tarus (the area director) informed us all that we would be meeting Jesus the next afternoon. He said that if you had never shaken the hand of Jesus you should prepare to do so the next day. Because the Bible says that whatever we do unto the least of these we are doing unto Christ himself.

Throughout the next day you could hear various people saying Jesus is coming! I got a list of the names of the children that morning and spent several hours praying for them by name as I read through their case studies. A caravan of vehicles was sent out to pick up the kids at their current places of residence. As they pulled up to the home with horns honking we all broke out in song. I get chills even as I write this. My eyes were filled with tears as the first 14 orphans left the cars and approached the home. Some of them had never had contact with white people before and were very afraid. Others were so excited they were jumping up and down singing. Several were dressed very well for this special day. And some had nothing but tattered dresses and bare feet. Those of us blessed to be there, were meeting Jesus and given an opportunity to hug him.

One of the little girls was very sick with malaria and had to be carried to the home. She was taken to the clinic for intravenous rehydration shortly after arriving. The children immediately began to settle into their new home. They were introduced to their parents. One of whom is my friend Dorcas. In the afternoon I came back to ask Dorcas how she was doing. She told me that the children were so excited when they saw their room. They asked her how many girls to each bed. When she told them that they could each have their own bed they were shocked and amazed. They proudly showed me their beds and their new toothbrushes.

Monday I will be starting physical exams and growth & development checks. I am excited and a little nervous. At this point we do not know the HIV status of any of these children. They range from age 5 to 10. Eventually we will be getting some as young as 3. Pray that I will have wisdom and sensitivity as I work with these children. Many of them have seen more in their 6 or 7 years than many of us will in a lifetime. Thank you again for your continued prayers and encouragement. I always love to hear from you!

No comments: